Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dog Days of Summer

To say I've gotten behind on life is a bit of an understatement.  Since my surgery in February the clarity with which I see my life is so much better, that I see I basically checked out for a very long time.  I muddled through so many things and I guess for lack of better terms "went through the motions" but I really wasn't into being me very much and it shows.  Since my post op period I have been reclaiming my life slowly but surely.  I started with a purge of the house I got a dumpster, a lot of bags and boxes and cleared zones for things.  Toss of course went in the dumpster, donate went in one half of the garage and separated into church yard sale, library, and others. Shredding was a pile that ended up being the size of one of the parking bays in the garage.  I also got a storage unit for those "family" things we just couldn't decide on but I didn't want to keep in the house anymore taking up space.  We will sit on this for a year and decide what we should do with it all later but for now it is safe and secure and out of the way.
The summer of the heat has delayed the outdoor plans until the past week or so.  We finally got temps and humidity that was much more bearable to be working long hours outside and I have been doing just that.  I've managed to fully reclaim a huge landscaping bed and 3 smaller ones with some assistance from the family but mainly it has been me out there day in and day out digging up dandelions, ragweed and whatever myriad other things that have taken up residence.  Today I finished the single largest planting bed and now I'm moving on to the second largest one.  The guys start mulching tomorrow.  I'll keep weeding.  My plan is to be done with this second bed by the end of the weekend before the kids go back to school.  There are some long narrow areas along the woods but my brother and hub can manage that when this latter huge area is done I move back to being indoors and finishing stuff we started earlier this year.
The inside projects consist of painting, flooring upstairs dining room, living room and hallway. In the basement we are going to tile most of it and rework the kitchen area so its more serviceable etc., etc. 
A big rework of the sewing room is scheduled for spring along with repainting the kitchen and master bedroom and if all goes well maybe we'll be able to redo the bathrooms next summer. But I'm not holding my breath on that I'm thinking those are a year or more out yet. Unless the economy improves. For now I just keep plodding along.
What does all this have to do with quilting?  Well nothing really.  But I have gotten a  new computer during this funky period and non of my quilting things were loaded on it.  I got my EQ software loaded and pulled all my projects off my old laptop.  I also got all my photographs and have been busy organizing those and cleaning them up so that they are easier to find what I want when I want it.  I really do feel like I'm starting over in so many ways.  I wonder if I'll ever be as productive with my quilting as I used to be.  20 finishes a year was nothing.  Right now I'm thinking I want to get the hand quilting job off the frame once and for all its been close to being done for so long I think its high time I just get it done.  Then I need to get my brother's quilt done as well just not sure what I'm going to do with it.  Think I may see if a favorite machine quilter or 2 would like some work if they aren't already swamped so I can clear away the old and prepare for the new.  Hmmm decisions, deicisions.  I am chomping at the bit to get back in the sewing room more often but I made a promise to myself after my surgery that I would get these environmental issues with the house and grounds dealt with come hell or high water.  I really don't need either so I'll keep working at this till its finished.  But I want to keep making entries here and let y'all know what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment